Hollywood Suite Programming Highlights May 18 to 24
May 15, 2020: Below are programming highlights from May 18 to 25 for the four Hollywood Suite commercial-free HD channels. Many titles are also available on Hollywood Suite On Demand, the Hollywood Suite GO app and hsgo.ca.
In the mood for a movie? With over 150 films to choose from this week on Hollywood Suite, we’ve got you covered!
Hits for the Whole Household
- Uncle Buck (1989) Tuesday, May 19 at 10:55 am ET on HS80 – Magic happens when the heart and charm of John Candy unites with the humour and tenderness of writer/director John Hughes. Candy plays an unlikely babysitter for his brother’s rebellious teenage daughter and two younger children.
- The Iron Giant (1999) Tuesday, May 19 at 7:25 pm ET on HS90 – Expect to laugh and cry during Brad Bird’s directorial debut. In this animated modern fairy tale, a young boy befriends a giant robot from outer space that a paranoid government agent wants to destroy. Available On Demand and on Hollywood Suite GO all month.
- Planet of the Apes (1968) Thursday, May 21 at 9:00 pm ET on HS70 – It’s a Madhouse! An astronaut crew crash-lands on a planet 2000 years in the future, where intelligent talking apes are the dominant species and humans are enslaved. Charlton Heston and Roddy McDowall lead the cast. Available On Demand and on Hollywood Suite GO all month.
- Pitch Perfect (2012) Saturday, May 23 at 9:00 pm ET on HS00 –Anna Kendrick, Rebel Wilson, Skylar Astin, Ben Platt, Anna Camp and Adam DeVine try to win singing glory in this musical comedy about the cutthroat world of college acapella competitions.
Get Chilled to the Bone
- Red Dragon (2002) Tuesday, May 19 at 9:00 pm ET on HS00 – Anthony Hopkins reprises his role as cannibalistic killer Dr. Hannibal Lecter. In this prequel to Silence of the Lambs, Edward Norton plays an FBI agent who is called out of early retirement to catch a serial killer and asks for help from his arch-nemesis. Ralph Fiennes, Emily Watson, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Harvey Keitel and Mary-Louise Parker headline.
- The Omen (1976) Thursday, May 21 at 12:25 am ET on HS70 – In this unnerving horror, Gregory Peck and Lee Remick play the proud parents of a boy who is literally the antichrist.
- Event Horizon (1997) Friday, May 22 at 7:20 pm ET on HS90 – Infinite space equals Infinite terror. Laurence Fishburne, Sam Neill and Joely Richardson are a rescue crew sent to investigate a spaceship that disappeared into a black hole and has now returned… but they are not alone. Available On Demand and on Hollywood Suite GO all month.
- Stephen King’s Silver Bullet (1985) Friday, May 22 at 9:00 pm ET on HS80 – Werewolves don’t exist… or do they? Corey Haim plays a 11-year-old who uses a wheelchair and Gary Busey is his uncle. Both are on a mission to put an end to the grisly, unexplained murders in their town. Available On Demand and on Hollywood Suite GO all month.
Dramas to Inspire You
- The Boy in The Plastic Bubble (1976) Tuesday, May 19 at 9:00 pm ET on HS70 – John Travolta stars as Tod Lubitch, a young man suffering from a deficient immune system, who has to live in a sterile environment to avoid contracting bacteria. His life changes when he meets his attractive next-door neighbour and must decide between his heart and his health. Available On Demand and on Hollywood Suite GO all month.
- Born on the Fourth of July (1989) Wednesday, May 20 at 6:30 pm ET on HS80 – Oliver Stone won the Best Director Oscar for his gritty war drama based on the autobiography of Vietnam veteran Ron Kovic. The film chronicles the evolution of Kovic, played by Tom Cruise, from patriotic soldier to paraplegic antiwar activist.
- Good Will Hunting (1997) Wednesday, May 20 at 9:00 pm ET on HS90 – Gus Van Sant directs this touching drama from virtually unknown screenwriters and young actors, Matt Damon and Ben Affleck. The movie tells the story of Will Hunting, a young MIT janitor who is a headstrong, working-class genius failing at life. Robin Williams won an Academy Award for his performance as a sensitive therapist who may be the only one to reach Will. How do you like them apples?
- 8 Mile (2002) Sunday, May 24 at 12:40 am ET on HS00 – If you had one shot, one opportunity to seize everything you ever wanted, would you capture it or just let it slip? That’s the question Eminem has to answer in Curtis Hanson’s drama set against Detroit’s hip-hop scene in 1995. The story centers on Jimmy Smith Jr., a young white rapper, who struggles to rise above poverty and his past to find his voice.
Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
- Cat Ballou (1965) Saturday, May 23 at 4:35 pm on HS70 –This western spoof tells the story of Cat Ballou, played by Jane Fonda, a school teacher turned gun-slinging train robber, out to avenge her father’s death.
- Mean Girls (2004) Sunday, May 24 at 3:15 pm ET on HS00 – An ensemble cast featuring Lindsay Lohan, Rachel McAdams, Lacey Chabert and Amanda Seyfried in Tina Fey’s comedy about a home-schooled teen who enters high school for the first time and must navigate the terrifying pecking order of teenage girl cliques. While she is embraced by the popular “plastics,” things take a cruel turn when she breaks girl code and dates the queen bee’s former boyfriend.
- Clueless (1995) Sunday, May 24 at 9:00 pm ET on HS90 – It’s Jane Austen’s “Emma” set in 90s Beverly Hills. Alicia Silverstone is totally buggin’ as the well-intentioned Cher, a spoiled high schooler whose attempts at matchmaking fail miserably.
- Slums of Beverly Hills (1998) Sunday, May 24 at 10:40 pm on HS90 – Alan Arkin, Natasha Lyonne, Rita Moreno, Marisa Tomei headline this cult-hit about growing up broke in one of America’s richest postal codes.
Holding out for a Hero
- The Wolverine: The Extended Cut (2013) Thursday, May 21 at 6:40 pm on HS00 – There is more action, more blood and more violence in director James Mangold’s harsher, extended version of the in-theatre film. Hugh Jackman plays The Wolverine who travels to Japan to meet an old friend whose life he saved years ago, and gets embroiled in a conspiracy involving the yakuza and mutants. Available On Demand and on Hollywood Suite GO all month.
- Escape from New York (1981) Thursday, May 21 at 9:00 pm on HS80 – Kurt Russell has badass-itude as Snake Plissken, an ex-soldier turned convict, sent to Manhattan, now a maximum-security prison, to rescue the stranded US President.
- Man on Fire (2004) Thursday, May 21 at 11:40 pm on HS00 – In Mexico City a former CIA operative, played by Denzel Washington, swears vengeance on those who committed an unspeakable act against the family he was hired to protect.
Many television service providers are offering a free preview of Hollywood Suite this month, while others have special offers so it’s easier than ever for Canadians to tune in. Click here for a full list of providers.
ABOUT HOLLYWOOD SUITE
Hollywood Suite owns and operates four exclusive HD channels featuring the iconic movies that defined the 70s, 80s, 90s and 2000s, plus essential Hollywood classics from the Golden Age, always uncut and commercial-free. With hundreds of movies every month on four HD channels, Hollywood Suite On Demand, the Hollywood Suite GO app and hsgo.ca, Hollywood Suite provides an unparalleled value to consumers.
Hollywood Suite is available to over 10 million households across Canada, exclusively through Canadian television service providers and Amazon Prime video channels. Visit hollywoodsuite.ca for more information.
For all media inquiries, please contact: